Sentinel is a flavored tablet used to prevent heartworms, control and prevent fleas, control adult hookworms, and control and remove adult roundworm and whipworm. See our Heartworm Comparison to find which heartworm prevention is best for your pet.
What is Sentinel?
Sentinel (milbemycin oxime/lufenuron) Flavor Tabs are chewable tablets manufactured by Virbac that control flea populations and adult hookworms, and remove and control adult roundworm and whipworm infections in dogs and puppies. In addition Sentinel helps prevent heartworms.
Who is Sentinel for?
For puppies and dogs 4 ages 4 weeks and up.
Why use Sentinel?
Sentinel is an oral monthly tablet with a savory beef flavor. It:
- Protects against many types of infections and infestations
- Controls existing flea infestations
- Prevents and treats heartworms
- Controls and treats roundworms and whipworms
How does Sentinel work?
- Lufenuron and milbemycin oxime eradicate infestation of worms and control fleas
- Milbemycin oxime, a macrocylic anthelmintic, is believed to interfere with invertebrate neurotransmission
- Milbemycin oxime is known to eliminate heartworm larvae in the tissue stage, along with roundworm (Toxascaris leonina and Toxocara canis), whipworm (Trichuris vulpis), and hookworm (Ancyclostoma caninum) when the recommended dosage schedule is followed
- Lufenuron is shown to controlfleas by preventing flea eggs from developing, but it does not kill fleas in the adult stage. An adulticide may be used concurrently to control adult fleas adequately.
Active ingredient(s): Milbemycin Oxime - Lufenuron
How is Sentinel sold?
Sentinel is sold in four tablet sizes in color-coded packages for oral administration to dogs and puppies according to their weight (see How to Use). Each tablet is formulated to provide a minimum of 0.23 mg/pound (0.5 mg/kg) of milbemycin oxime and 4.55 mg/pound (10 mg/kg) body weight of lufenuron.
What are the side effects of Sentinel?
The following side effects have been reported:
- Loss of appetite
What special precautions are there?
- Sentinel should not be given to puppies under 4 weeks old or under 2 pounds.
- Your dog should be tested for heartworms prior to taking Sentinel.
What to do if overdose?
Contact your closest emergency pet hospital.
How can I store Sentinel?
Store at room temperature. Keep out of the reach of children.
Sentinel can be used together with Capstar (nitenpyram) to prevent flea eggs from hatching and to kill mature fleas. Please reference the included Supplemental Package Insert for more information about the concurrent use of two flea prevention products.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.